Thursday, February 11, 2010

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

It's been ages since I've been able to decorate and/or paint my home as I like.  Wait...have I ever?  Yeah, that lovely basement apartment I had in St. Louis was blessed with my homemade kitchen curtains. The fabric was, I think, a gardening theme...seed packets or something.  Maybe something else.  My main memory of that apartment was the day I found a snake in the room beside my bedroom...and I moved out.  :-(

But now since I'm getting my VERY OWN place where I don't have to re-paint the walls back to their original color when I moved out, or worry about re-spackling the walls from nail holes from pictures, I'm gonna go crazy decorating!  LOL  Currently I have NO pictures on my walls. Yep, three years in this cavern and I still haven't decorated it!  Well, what can you do with wall-to-wall mocha colored carpet (which I do like) and ALL walls painted a strawberry chocolate milkshake color??!!!  Seriously, put anything up against it and it looks PINK.  I don't do PINK!!!

So, today my wonderful Realtor Debbee met me at MY house so I could do some measurements for curtains (just thinking about the kitchen right now) and I also made general room measurements and took a boatload of pictures so I can begin to figure out where I'm going to put what.  Sorry, not sharing those pix 'cuz they are b l u r r y. :-(  My camera battery was almost toast so I didn't use any flash and was trying to hurry and, well...)

Last Saturday DeAndrea and I spent an hour or so at Joann's Fabric browsing through their bolts of fabric and sample pieces hanging like a rainbow-plus of colors of placemats for their "special order" fabrics.  And of course, I found a couple pieces in the spendy stuff that would work with the color scheme I'm wanting.  So, for five bucks each, I rented the samples for a week (I do get my five spot back) and promptly tacked both up on my cubicle wall at work to see which one annoyed me after a few days.  While I was at it, I figured I would get some input from my co-workers.
This first piece was a favorite of my two immediate neighbors and I delighted in telling them each time someone would vote "against" their favorite.  These Stripes earned 7 votes.
Here's what one gal said against the Stripes:
  • "The Stripes look dated.  Very Brady-ish"      uh oh...

The second piece was a great conversation starter...and I decided to jot down the responses I got.  Amazingly, the first two guys to vote like the Swirly!

Here are some of the statements I got from the TEN people who voted for the Swirly pattern:

  • It has character  (male)

  • It's alive (male)

  • It's interesting (male)

  • I like it 'cuz I'm into modern and wild  (female)

  • I like it 'cuz it's out of my comfort zone (female)
There were actually two negative comments about the Swirly...can you imagine?!!

  • It reminds me of the carpet at Vegas (male)

  • It makes me dizzy (female)
Hmmmm.....

What do you think?  Here's the window I plan to cover with one of these two fabrics.  The walls above and below the cabinets will be a deep yellow...and there will be a rust or burgandy in the dining area (10 ft away from this window). 


(these walls aren't yellow yet...this picture is the product of no flash, bad lighting and improper white-balance on the camera.)

Ok now, VOTE!  Swirly or Stripes???

2 comments:

  1. If it is between only the two, go for the top STRAIGHT stripes! The second one makes me dizzy, I thought, and then saw a female also had the same opinion. I was dizzy before the screen finished scrolling. Washing dishes before this psychotic monster will never be accomplished, so if you ever want help with that job, avoid this one at all costs.
    Forget the "dated" comments. I am dated. Everything gets dated. Dated comes back around. I like dated. Dated is cool.

    But it is not dated.

    Get your fiver back quick on the swirly.
    Or take it to Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I am feeling badly. If this is the only window this curtain will be on, and it is of course a relatively small window, and they might be open or pulled back quite a bit, then I can (really I can) see that the swirly might be quite acceptable. The colors are fine either way.

    I would suggest, since it IS a small window, make a set of each and (like women like to do), exchange them out every so often.

    When you need help with dishes, hang the Straights. If you feel like being alone, hang the Dizzy.

    ReplyDelete